Internet Connection Problem After Update to Windows 8.1

I have a German Windows, so some words below will be in German, sorry.

I have just updated Windows 8 to 8.1 and there was a problem with Internet connection. My Firefox has refused to connect to most of Websites. I have traced the problem to connection-specific DNS suffix. ipconfig has shown that on Windows 8.1 strangely enough this suffix was equal to Speedport_W_303V_Typ_B (this is my WiFi DSL connection). As a result, the name resolution was as follows:

$ nslookup www.microsoft.com
Server:  speedport.ip
Address:  192.168.2.1

Nicht autorisierende Antwort:
NS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
Name:    www.microsoft.com.Speedport_W_303V_Typ_B
Addresses:  62.157.140.133
80.156.86.78

I do not know what these two IP-addresses are, but they are  not related to www.microsoft.com. Hence the problem was the name resolution. I have found this funny, as Microsoft has disabled the right resolution even of its own name. The message in Firefox looked nice: Server not found, Firefox can't find the server at www.microsoft.com. This happened after the update that I have made through Internet!

One quick solution was to use the point at the end of the name:

$ nslookup www.microsoft.com.
Server:  speedport.ip
Address:  192.168.2.1

Nicht autorisierende Antwort:
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
Name:    lb1.www.ms.akadns.net
Address:  64.4.11.42
Aliases:  www.microsoft.com
toggle.www.ms.akadns.net
g.www.ms.akadns.net

The point at the end means that the DNS name is complete, as the point is the name of the uppermost domain. Yet, such a solution was clearly not an ideal one.

After some trials and error I have found the settings that have allowed me to remove this nonsense.

1) Systemsteuerung\Alle Systemsteuerungselemente\Netzwerk- und Freigabecenter

2) Adaptereinstellungen ändern

3) Right click the WiFi connection and choose Properties

4) TCP/IPv4 Properties

5) Erweitert | DNS | Choose Diese DNS-Suffixe anhängen and add “.” as the DNS suffix. Also put “.” in DNS-Suffix für diese Verbindung.

6) Check with ipconfig that now the connection-specific DNS suffix is equal to “.”

That’s it. Now it is working as in Windows 8.

Well, some time ago I used to teach administrating of Windows and I was able to solve that problem. Yet, it remains to me as a puzzle how normal people can work on Windows.


Comments

2 responses to “Internet Connection Problem After Update to Windows 8.1”

Comments are now closed
  1. Bert says:

    run command prompt as administrator

    type: netsh winsock reset and hit ENTER

    restart pc / laptop

    and your connection problems are past

  2. Thank you. I do not remember now what I have tried then.